Legislative Essay Contest
June 6, 2017
- Subject: California Senate Bill SB-185 (Crimes: infractions. 2017-2018) is currently being debated and voted in California Senate. Assuming you are a California State Legislator, will you support the bill or oppose it? Why? Please do your own research and write an essay to support your decision. Please clearly list out your references.
- Resource: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB185
- Participant: K-12 San Diego Local School Students.
Varsity Level: 500 – 800 words (not including reference lines)
Booster Level: Less than 500 words (not including reference lines)
- Time line:
Deadline for submission: August 31, 2017. Email to: Contest@sdaafe.org
Essays will be judged by local political leaders. (Candidate Judges: City Council member Chris Cate’s office, Debate Teacher Caleb Moore, and others)
Best essay writers on both sides of the argument will be awarded with generous prizes by SDAAFE. The award certificates will be issued by Congressman Scott Peters’ office.
- Monetary awards for top Varsity Level essays (of opinions on both sides of the argument): $300 for top essays; $200 for 2nd place essays; $100 for 3rd place essays.
- Trophy awards for top Booster Level essays.
- Winning essays will be published on SDAAFE website to honor participating students, although they will not represent SDAAFE opinions.
- Winners will have the opportunity to participate in the Legislative Debate Contest (to be announced).
- Participant’s effort will count as volunteer hours at SDAAFE.
Download Legislative Essay Contest Application Form SDAAFE__Legislative_Essay_Contest__2017