- Subject: California Senate Bill SB-174 Public Employment: Eligibility (2017-2018) is currently being debated and voted in California Senate. Assuming you are a California State Legislator, will you support the bill or oppose it? Why? Please do your own research and write an essay to support your decision. Please clearly list out your references.
- Resource: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB174
- Participant: Grade K-12 San Diego Local School Students.
- Varsity Level: 500 – 800 words (not including title and reference lines)
- Booster Level: Less than 500 words (not including title and reference lines)
- Time line:
- Deadline for submission: August 31, 2018. Email to: Contest@sdaafe.org
- 30% Writing Skills and Grammar
- 35% Arguments
- 35% Research and Supporting data
- Essays will be rated by local writing experts and local political leaders.
- Best essay writers on both sides of the argument will be awarded with generous prizes by SDAAFE. The award certificates will be issued by legislator’s office.
- Monetary awards for top Varsity Level essays (of opinions on both sides of the argument): $300 for top essays; $200 for 2nd place essays; $100 for 3rd place essays.
- Trophy awards for top Booster Level essays.
- Winning essays will be published on SDAAFE website to honor participating students, although they will not represent SDAAFE opinions.
- Participant’s effort will count as volunteer hours at SDAAFE.
- Essay Style Requirement:
- File Type — Your essay should be submitted as a word .doc or .xdoc file
- Font — Use the popular Times New Roman font, easy to read 12 pt font size.
- Spacing — Your essay should be double spaced.
- Length — Not counting title and references.
- References — Your essay must include a list of at least three references which you consulted. These references can be from printed or online sources.
- Style Guide — You may use either the MLA, Chicago or APA style manual for citations and reference formatting.
- Do — Please make sure you fill out the application form and sign the waiver on Page 3 of this document by yourself and your legal guardian.
- Don’t — Please do Not type in your name within the essay, or in any other way convey or imply your personal identity in the essay, as all essays will be rated anonymously.
|Download the Application Form
Email your application and essay to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Question about the contest: email@example.com
Deadline: 11:59pm, August 31, 2018