SDAAFE is pleased to announce the launch of the 2019 Essay Contest on California State Legislation which is also the Third ‘Sunrise Realty Cup’ Youth Legislative Essay Contest. The goal of this contest is to promote awareness among youth on public affairs, and political and legal systems of California. It is meant to reward those young people who show a solid understanding of issues that affect Californians. It is held statewide by three prominent organizations: San Diego Asian Americans For Equality (SDAAFE), Silicon Valley Chinese Association Foundation (SVCAF), and The Orange Club (TOC), representing San Diego (SD), Northern California (NorCal), and Greater Los Angeles (GLA) regions, respectively. Please read the rules and deadline of the contest carefully.
- Subject: California Assembly Bill AB-392 Peace Officers(2019) is currently being debated and voted on in the California State Assembly. Assuming you are a California State Legislator, will you support the bill or oppose it? Why? Please do your own research and write an essay to support your decision. Please clearly list out your references.
- Resource: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB392
- Participant: Current California resident, Grades 6-12 Students in the 2019-2020 school year (Please choose the closest region from SD, NorCal, or GLA as your local submission region.)
- Essay requirement: English, 500 – 800 words (not including title and references)
- Deadline for submission: 11:59 pm, August 31 (Sat.), 2019.
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email should include your Essay, the signed application form, and the signed waiver document.
- Forms download link: https://tinyurl.com/2019contest
- Subject in email: 2019_region code (choose one from SD, NorCal, or GLA)_your name (Sample: 2019_SD_Mary Lee) (Mary Lee is from San Diego region.)
- 30% Writing Skills and Grammar
- 35% Arguments
- 35% Research and Supporting data
- Essays will be rated by local writing experts and local political leaders.
- Prizes (The prizes will be awarded in a two-tier process.):
- Local Round: San Diego region winning essay writers on both sides of the argument will receive award certificates. The results will be announced on Sep. 30th, 2019. Award certificates will be issued by San Diego DA’s Office (Summer Stephan).
- State Finals: The local winning essays on both sides of the argument will be automatically entered in a statewide contest. Each side of the argument will be presented with a First Place with $1000 award; a Second Place with $500 award; and a Third Place with $300 award. The Finals results will be announced in early October.
- State winning essays will be published on SDAAFE, SVCAF, and TOC websites to honor participating students, although they will not represent the three organizations’ opinions.
- All awardees including San Diego region and state levels must attend the Award Ceremony in person to receive the prize which will be held
11/02/2019 (Saturday), 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar (3939 Ocean Bluff Ave, San Diego, CA 92130)
- All contestants’ efforts can be counted as volunteer hours of the local organization.
- Essay Style Requirement:
- File Type — Your essay should be submitted as a word .doc or .docx file
- Font — Use the popular Times New Roman font, easy to read 12 pt font size.
- Spacing — Your essay should be double spaced.
- Length — Not counting title and references.
- References — Your essay must include a list of at least three references.
- Style Guide — You may use any of the MLA, Chicago or APA style manual for citations and reference formatting.
- Do — Please make sure you fill out the application form and sign the waiver document by yourself and your legal guardian.
- Don’t — Please do Not mention me within the essay, or in any other way convey or imply your personal identity in the essay, as all essays will be rated anonymously.
Lastly, we’d like to thank San Diego Sunrise Realty for their support and sponsorship. We’d also like to thank the following realtors from San Diego Sunrise Realty: Hui Zheng, Cindy Zhan, Rong Peng, J.C Seely, Cindy Quintana, Coco Qian Li, Jing Zhao.